**Featured in The Paleo Magazine’s 3rd Annual Holiday Cookbook**
THIS IS SO GOOD. I would choose it over traditional stuffing any day (yes, it’s true). I came up with this recipe because I wanted to make a wheat-free healthy stuffing that doesn’t simply replace the bread with loads of gluten-free bread or pounds of sausage. Oh- and it had to still taste like regular stuffing of course.
Crunch-time came today, on account of Thanksgiving is this week (it’s already here- whaaaaat!). This stuffing recipe is what I came up with and it is seriously delicious stuff. We have no leftovers tonight. None.
Ok here’s the recipe:
2-3 sweet potatoes (only use two if they are larger ones) peeled &diced
2 white potatoes peeled & diced
2 parsnips peeled & diced
4-5 ounces of diced pancetta (I bought mine at Whole Foods but sometimes Trader Joe’s carries it as well) **leave out for vegetarian stuffing
1 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp white cooking wine
3 tsp Bell’s seasoning (see pic here)
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
2 apples diced
2 cups brazil nuts
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup fresh cranberries
What to do:
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Put 2-3 tbsp of olive oil a cast iron pan (or large skillet) on med heat. Add sweet potatoes, white potatoes, parsnips, white cooking wine, Bell’s seasoning, and pink Himalayan salt. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until they are softened (almost similar to the softness of an apple- can stick a fork in it, but it’s still a little hard).
2. In a separate smaller skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter and saute shallots and pancetta while the potatoes are cooking.
3. Grind the brazil nuts in a food processor (or put them in a ziplock bag and crush them with a mallet). It should be coarsely ground with no large chunks of nuts.
4. Add apples and brazil nuts to potato mixture and mix well. Once mixed, add pancetta mixture. Mix together evenly and cook for 3-5 minutes on low heat.
5. Add cranberries and vegetable stock. Mix well. Cover in foil and cook in oven for 25 minutes. If you didn’t use a cast iron pan, you can transfer the stuffing into a casserole dish before putting in oven.
6. Take cover/foil off and cook in oven for another 15 minutes.
7. DONE. Eat this deliciousness right now.