It’s MARCH and the cold winter is (unfortunately) still here. In hopes of improving my mood, I downed some Vitamin D and made this stew. It’s simple, healthy, and hearty. Essentially you chop up some meat, veggies, pour in some broth, and cook it in the crockpot all day until you get home from work. Then you’ll have a delicious dinner just waiting for you to sit down and enjoy it.
1 10 oz package of mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 chopped onion
3 celery stalks (chopped)
2 large carrots (chopped with skin on)
5 on the vine tomatoes (diced)
1 italian pepper (it’s light green in color)
1/2 pound of boneless pork loin
1 pound (or close to it- I used .8 pounds) sirloin beef tips
2-3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
2 tbsp basil (dried basil or Mrs. Dash is fine)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
Optional: splash of red wine
What To Do:
1. Sauté mushrooms and onions together in a little bit of oil and water. Set aside when cooked.
2. Chop the beef and pork into chunky pieces. Brown with garlic, basil (or Mrs.Dash), olive oil, and a splash of red wine.
3. Combine mushroom and onion mixture with meat, celery, carrots, beef broth, and tomatoes in a crockpot. Stir and let it cook it on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
4. Add one box of beef broth and stir.
5. Add additional seasonings (salt, pepper, olive oil) to taste and parmesan cheese on top. Mangia! (Eat in Italian)